Friday, December 30, 2011

Shopping prep...

I don't have much time to blog today. I've spent my "free time" (if that's what you can call nap time around here) doing up our shopping list.
Ah, the shopping list. We each have our own way of doing one. Some just scribble down what they think they need and others, like me, have charts and graphs, store layouts and flyers ready for price matching. 



Yes, grocery shopping for me is not just something we have to do once in a while, it is a full on family activity!
We price match here. For those of you who don't know what price matching is, where have you been? It's only the best way to save time AND money! You go through your local grocery flyers, find the deals and when you go shopping at your favourite store you find the same item, show them the flyer and they give you the same price! You save time from having to drive from one place to the next and money because if you only shopped at one store you'd have to pay their regular price for that item instead of the discounted price.
Yes, shopping is not just going to get food, it takes planning, prep work, and lists! We've worked it out so that now it doesn't take us long to go shopping, but the prep time before hand sure does!
We plan our meals a week to two weeks ahead and then shop accordingly. It takes time but we feel we save money. It's not cheap feeding a family of four on one income, especially now that all four members are eating "regular" food! I think it's worth the time and energy. 
What kind of shopper are you?

2 comments:

cdnkaro said...

Wow, I am in awe! I keep a going-list. Some items I can only get at Sobeys or Costco, and I have separate lists for when I go to those stores. Otherwise it's just one list for Zehrs, keeping tabs as I go. I've tried meal planning before but have never been able to stick to it, sadly. I bow to your food planning!!

Mother Hen said...

We didn't come by this by chance, this is years worth of planning and study! LOL Sadly I wish we were still better because I'd love to get the grocery budget down more, but we do love the challenge of finding a "good deal"! :)